Monday, January 5, 2015

What song and literature will you teach in January? Why did you choose this song and literature? How do you plan to teach these? (two to three paragraphs)

I plan on teaching Gimmie Shelter by The Rolling Stones. This song really demonstrates the time period around the Vietnam War. Since I will be teaching about chapter 7 from The Things They Carry or How To Tell A True War Story. The reason I choose this literature is because to me, it was the most powerful thing I read in this class. To put something so unbelievable as war into war is one of the toughest things to do with our language. It also gave me an idea of what I would see if I was in war. Its not like what I imagined there is no heroism, just the confusion of war. I feel that this song represents that time period and the human effort to take shelter from the all consuming thing called War,

To teach this I would want to use a class discussion and Video. To me discussing and talking about literature is the only way to understand something really. The video is of Tim O'Brien talking about this chapter and him telling a war story. He ends with an overall talk about literature that I think this a great way to rap up our first semester of school. The importance of literature cannot be stressed enough and O'Brien's word on this couldn't be more perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment